Saturday 27 April 2013

History Hop - sign ups open!

The History Hop has returned! I started this blog hop to inspire and challenge participants to reinvent jewelry from history. Last time, each of you chose an era from history and created (beautiful) jewelry that reflected the style as well as materials of the time.

This time, I'm adding a bit of geography to it. I've been researching native North American jewelry lately and thought it would be fun to add a regional aspect to the History Hop. We're still going to travel on our computers to bygone eras, but you will be able to choose a specific region or culture to draw from.

Your challenge is to choose one of the regions in history from the list below. Research it and create something that's inspired by and reflects the era. I'm hoping you'll be inspired by the time and style as well as the materials and methods used. You can choose as many as you like, but be sure to make at least one thing.

Here are the choices:

Egypt
Mesopotamia
Greece
Rome
Celts
Indus Valley Civilization
Merovingian
Reneissance
English Romanticism & Mourning Jewelry
Art Nouveau
Early Russian
China
Moche of Peru
Aztec
Mixtec
Native American
Māori (New Zealand)


The subjects link to websites I found relating to the periods and regions. If you need help finding more info, just ask! You might have to do a bit more searching, especially if you want to narrow it down to a specific tribe, etc.

To sign up: Post a comment here telling me what theme(s) you'd like and leave your email address (you can email me, if you prefer). I must have a way to contact you. I'll confirm you're in and add your choice and blog details to a final list. Sign ups close on May 18th.

Create a piece (or more!) and photograph it for the reveal. You might like to write a little about why you chose the region in history or what you learned during the hop.

Blog on the reveal date - June 1st. If you think you'll be busy on that day, you can schedule the blog to post ahead of time. If you need to know how, just ask!

I've made a blog hop button you can copy onto your blog. It's a painting by Gyula Tornai called The Jewellery Maker - appropriate, I thought!

On my sidebar you'll see this image with code below it. Copy the code and add it to an HTML widget on your blog. If you have any trouble with it, let me know.

The Jewellery Maker by Gyula Tornai. Source Wikimedia.





Participants so far:

Leah Curtis - Indus Valley - beadyeyedbunny.blogspot.co.uk
Laney Mead - Māori - laney-izzybeads.blogspot.co.uk
Becca - Art Nouveau - godsartistinresidence.blogspot.com
Melissa - English Romanticism and Mourning Jewelry - beadrecipes.wordpress.com
Tracy Stillman - Native American - tracystillmandesigns.com
Gerda - English Romanticism and Mourning Jewelry - gerdascraftsblog.blogspot.com
Liz E - Native North American - beadcontagion.blogspot.com
Ahowin - Māori (New Zealand)  - blog.ahowinjewelry.com 
Jasvanti - Indus Valley - jewelrybyjasvanti.blogspot.com
Lizzie - Art Nouveau - theneedtobead.blogspot.co.uk
Julia Hay - Merovingian - pandanimal.blogspot.co.uk
Dini - Celtic - angazabychanges.blogspot.nl
Caroline - Art Nouveau - blueberribeads.co.uk 
Charlie - Moche of Peru - clay-space.com/blog
Karin - China - maverickbeads.blogspot.com
Niky Sayers - Rome - silverniknats.blogspot.com
Marcia Dunne - Celctic and Mourning Jewelry - thealternativefoundry.blogspot.co.uk
anafiassa - Mesopotamia - anafiassa.blogspot.com
Kokopelli - Native American - kokopellidesign.blogspot.com
Christa - Native American - adventuresofwonebeadywoman.blogspot.com
Clair - Roman - obstinatepursuit.blogspot.co.uk
Susan Bowie - Native American - susanbowie.wordpress.com
Gloria Allen - English Romanticism - gloriaallendesigns.blogspot.com
Sheila Garrett - Early Russia - 4brownowl.blogspot.co.uk 


31 comments:

  1. Count me in Leah for Maori. I have just been flitting though the list and was torn between so many, but Maori customs and story telling did it for me :) Don't forget to nudge me :P Lx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah- I'd really like to do this hop, too. It sounds like a great idea, and a fun challenge. Please me up for Art Nouveau. OH, yes... Please don't forget to nudge me, too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, I'll join in again, think I'll do English Romanticism and Mourning Jewellery (although I may change my mind and choose the Celts instead -- will let you know if I do!). My email is melissa_trudinger at yahoo dot com and my blog is beadrecipes.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah, I had so much fun last time so yes please I'd like to join in again. I think I'll choose Native American please. My blog is www.tracystillmandesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Leah. I saw the post about your blog hop in Bead Soup Cafe on fb and thought that it's an awesome idea. Please sign me up :)
    My email: Gerdale[at]gmail[.]com and the adress to my brand new blog: gerdascraftsblog.blogspot.com
    (Seriously, it's brand new. I only decided to fianlly make a blog for my jewelry today and haven't even had the chance to post anything yet.)

    Gerda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gerda, thanks for joining! I've started following your blog. Have fun with it! :)

      Delete
    2. I would like to sign up and do Native American because that is what always speaks to me. my email is ccrider200607@yahoo.com

      Delete
  6. Oh... and my theme... English Romanticism and Mourning Jewelry, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Leah. Sounds like such fun, please add me. I'm going to pick North American. Email is beadcontagion@gmail.com and blog is beadcontagion.blogspot.com. Thank you for doing this :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added you, Liz. Thanks for joining it! Hope you have fun.

      Delete
  8. Leah, I chose Māori (New Zealand)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I would like to participate, my blog is jewelrybyjasvanti@blogspot.com and my region will be the Indus valley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, this sounds like so much fun and I would love to join in. I will email you. Can't wait to get creating and hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, this sounds like so much fun. I'd love to join in. I'd like to pick Art Nouveau as my era please.
    I'll email you with my details. Looking forward to creating and blog hopping! Lizzie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to join in this please. I had so much fun looking at all the beadsoup loveliness.
    Can you put me down for Merovingian please. I will send you my email through craft pimp if that's ok?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to take part please. Can you put me down for Merovingian. I will send you my email through Craft Pimp.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lea,

    I would like to join in please and choose Celtic :-)my blog is http://angazabychanges.blogspot.nl My email is angazabychanges@gmail.com

    Thank you for organizing the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Count me in please Leah, great idea for a hop! I think I'll go for Art Nouveau please :) x caroline@blueberribeads dot co dot uk

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd like to join in! Is there anything that hasn't been covered yet? I am easy going and willing to do anything so just let me know. sterlingsunjewelry at gmail dot com.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlie, thanks for joining! I've put you down for Moche of Peru. Let me know if you would like something else. Have fun!

      Delete
  17. I'm in - such great choices for civilizations. I'll take China, please! I can be reached at caycay at shaw dot ca. I blog at maverickbeads.blogspot.ca

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fantastic idea, I would love to do Rome please
    silverniknats at email dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. hello Leah,I'll choose Celtic and Mourning jewellery, Looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh! I would love, love, love a chance to do this! I have a background in Anthropology/Archaeology and I love ancient cultures--thank you so much for such a cool blog hop idea! :D

    So, yes, please count me in! I think I'll choose Mesopotamia. (Is it possible to add on more, if time allows? It's fine if not, I just thought I'd ask--I've been working on Egyptian, Roman, and Byzantine pieces in my "spare" time, and would love to include them if I finish them in time.)

    My email is: jenofapen @ gmail . com (without the spaces, of course) and my blog is: anafiassa.blogspot.com

    Thank you again for this opportunity! (And letting me burble on like an excited person, lol.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - thanks for joining! Glad you're excited. You're more than welcome to do more than one theme. I've put you down for Mesopotamia in case you don't have time for the others. Looking forward to your reveal!

      Delete
  21. I think I'm in with the Native American theme. Although I already have a reveal on June 1st. But I'd love to create something.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Please count me in - I've been researching historical architecture recently and this seems like the perfect opportunity to combine passions! I'm choosing 'Roman'.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm in. I choose Native American theme please.
    Susanbowie88@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I will participate English Romanticism, http://gloriaallendesigns.blogspot.com
    You can email me at gja7680@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Leah, this sounds really fun. It took me forEVer to decide here, but it would really like to work with the early Russian theme. Thanks! Pearlandpebble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete