Friday 31 May 2013

History Hop Reveal!

Welcome to the History Hop! This is the second history inspired blog hop I've hosted. A few people missed out on the last one, and it turned out to be enjoyable, so here's another one! And for anyone who missed out this time, I will be hosting another History Hop later this year (we'll see how it goes).

First off, thank you all for participating. I hope you've enjoyed it, been inspired, and maybe even learned something new about jewelry and its history.

The challenge was to pick a theme and era in history (you can find them here) and create a piece inspired by the style and materials used at that time. I chose the Indus Valley.

When I think of the Indus Valley, I think of gems, silk, and gold. I was delighted to find out copper, among other metals, was also popular. Copper is one of my favorite metals, so I couldn't resist using it in my project.

I chose to make a set of bangles, as they were very common in the Indus Valley. Mine have a slightly modern feel and are thinner and more delicate than what might have been worn, but I love the modern contrast. I made my bangles with carnelian, amethyst, and pearls; all materials that would have been used. I also used some lovely black silk, which increased in use with the advent of the Silk Road and trade with China.




Although the bangles I made are quite thin individually, they look great stacked together on the wrist. Even bare the copper bangles are attractive, but being a gemstone lover, I couldn't resist adding a few brightly colored stones and extra details with wire.






The first bangle I made was formed from wire and fused. I hammered the fused joint and along the bangle for strength. Then I wire wrapped dark amethysts on either side and a few dangles with carnelian drops and white pearls.



The next one is even simpler in design, but probably my favorite. It too is solid and made from fused copper wire, then hammered for strength and texture. I wire wrapped a single carnelian coin to the bangle. The color of the carnelian is gorgeous, and it didn't need much to make it stand out.


The last bangle is wrapped in soft, black silk with white pearls woven along the bangle with fine copper wire. This one turned out exactly as I imagined and feels great on the skin. This one isn't fused, but secured with two simple loops and forged to help keep the shape.

And there you have it! My Indus Valley inspired bangle set. I loved making these and plan to make many more. They're a refreshing change from my more complex designs. I have to admit...I'll probably keep these.



Thank you for hopping by! Please take a look at all the other participants' blogs. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!



Leah Curtis - Indus Valley - beadyeyedbunny.blogspot.co.uk
Laney Mead - Māori - laney-izzybeads.blogspot.co.uk
Becca - Art Nouveau - godsartistinresidence.blogspot.com
Melissa - English Romanticism and Mourning Jewelry - beadrecipes.wordpress.com
Tracy Stillman - Native American - tracystillmandesigns.com
Gerda - English Romanticism and Mourning Jewelry - gerdascraftsblog.blogspot.com
Liz E - Native North American - beadcontagion.blogspot.com
Ahowin - Māori (New Zealand)  - blog.ahowinjewelry.com 
Jasvanti - Indus Valley - jewelrybyjasvanti.blogspot.com
Lizzie - Art Nouveau - theneedtobead.blogspot.co.uk
Julia Hay - Merovingian - pandanimal.blogspot.co.uk
Dini - Celtic - angazabychanges.blogspot.nl
Caroline - Art Nouveau - blueberribeads.co.uk 
Charlie - Moche of Peru - clay-space.com/blog
Karin - China - maverickbeads.blogspot.com
Niky Sayers - Rome - silverniknats.blogspot.com
Marcia Dunne - Celctic and Mourning Jewelry - thealternativefoundry.blogspot.co.uk
anafiassa - Mesopotamia - anafiassa.blogspot.com
Kokopelli - Native American - kokopellidesign.blogspot.com
Christa - Native American - adventuresofwonebeadywoman.blogspot.com
Clair - Roman - obstinatepursuit.blogspot.co.uk
Susan Bowie - Native American - susanbowie.wordpress.com
Gloria Allen - English Romanticism - gloriaallendesigns.blogspot.com
Sheila Garrett - Early Russia - 4brownowl.blogspot.co.uk

22 comments:

  1. A lovely bangle set...and perfect for your era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its very pretty Leah. Not surprised your keeping it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those Leah, individually and as a group, I'm not surprised you're keeping them! Thanks for hosting such a brilliantly themed hop! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the rich colours and how you've wrapped the gems, beautiful work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous bracelets! I love how they can all work together as a group.
    I bet you'll be wearing them a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As love your pieces and thoroughly enjoying reading the blogs, off to hop some more

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that second one Leah, really beautiful, they all look fantastic together though. Mine will be blogged later today, just adding the finishing touches.....ok the pics!! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leah these are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soooooooo Glamour! Very beautiful Leah, I love them together. Thank you so much for hosting this fantastic event.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sweet set of bangles. They go together perfectly. I could totally see wearing those. I bet you will get lots of complements on them when you wear them. The carnelian is so warm and rich, yummmmmy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely work, Leah - I really like how you represented the era.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are absolutely beautiful! I love the juxtaposition of the Indus Valley influence and the modern edge. And thank you so much for hosting this blog hop--it's been so much fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you again for hosting this hop.
    I think you captured the era perfectly.
    Outstanding!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you again for hosting this hop.
    I think you captured the era perfectly.
    Outstanding!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you again for hosting this event.
    You captured perfectly the era. your bangles are outstanding!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Leah....steep learning curve....I think I managed to get there.....and publish too.
    Love the bangles x totally get the vision not so sure of mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, I really mean it when I say you did outstanding! I don't think I'd have been able to get a blog and a blog hop ready in the short time you did. Thank you so much for joining in! Hope to see more from you in the future.

      Delete
  17. Oh Leah! Each of the braceleta are beautiful on their own, but together - well, wow. The colours and textures are just amazing, I'm not surprised that you want to keep them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a beautiful set of bangles Leah! Thanks again for hosting such a fun hop!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They're all so gorgeous and I think you managed to capture your topic really well. I think the one with the single carnelian is my favourite. Thank you so much for hosting this hop, it was a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You made an amazing combination with your bangles, with very rich colours. This carnelian gemmie is heart warming!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They look fabulous together! Such pieces of art one by one, but together they are perfect. Thanks for hosting this fun hop. Hopefully I'm in for the next time.

    ReplyDelete